Sunday, June 10, 2007

Roadkill.

Every day when I leave my apartment in the morning, one of my goals is not to get run over. In Thailand, the traffic rules are... there ARE no traffic rules. Every so often there will be a traffic light, but these are mostly ignored. Crossing busy streets is always a life and death experience. Often I will make it across one lane but will have to stand in the middle of the road waiting for the other lane to clear, while motorbikes and cars and taxis zoom around me. Pedestrians cross streets at their own risk.

This evening, when i was walking home from dinner, I had my headphones on and was a little zoned out, when I rounded a corner and was almost demolished my a motorbike on the sidewalk. Yes, the motorbike had decided that the road just wasn't good enough and it was the sidewalk or nothing. I didn't die. The motorbike swerved and I leapt out of the way with surprising agility, if I do say so myself.

I thought (falsely) that I would be safe from the insane drivers who claim to always have the right-of-way if I walked on the sidewalk, but they have taken over everything. I have a whole new appreciation for American crosswalks.

0 comments: