Thursday, June 7, 2007

The back door.

Today one of the full time English faculty told me that she liked my face. I "wai"ed and said thank you, and then she said, "Yes, your face. It is just so plump." This, obviously, is not quite as much as a compliment, but I bowed and said thank you anyways.

However, the situation was redeemed somewhat when she patted my shoulder and said, "Yes, you look like very sexy, sensual American movie star with plump face." Again, compliments through the back door, or at least through the side door.

Thai people have a very definite idea of who is overweight and who is not. Here, anyone who is larger than about a size 4 is considered fat. Last time I was in Thailand, I was told I was a fat horse (literally!) by my Thai parents almost daily, but here at the university I have gotten nothing but compliments and being compared to Hilary Duff and Britney Spears. Maybe it is because so many farang (foreigners) work at CMU, but I have been surprised at the reaction. My hair gets a lot of comments, and Thai people like to touch it; they do always ask first, as the head is the holiest part of the body.

0 comments: