Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I'm picking up good vibrations...

A few days ago I was hanging out in the English faculty common room, checking my email. All of a sudden, there was a slight tremor; I couldn't even call it an earthquake. Instantly, there was mayhem. The formerly quiet common room erupted into noise and exclamations by some older female Thai professors. They started scurrying about, talking to one another about "the huge earthquake!" and "that was so terrifying!"

All this time I had remained at the computer, calmly continuing to check my email. I didn't even get up from the chair. Adam, an American professor from Boston who knows that I am from California, looked over at me and said, "Well, Megan, what did you think of that?" I smiled and said, "If you want to feel a real earthquake you need to go to San Francisco."

0 comments: