Thursday, June 21, 2007

And so it begins.

Three of my classes have their first major graded assignment due next week. Two classes have oral presentations and one has an article and note sheet project. I am nervous for them; I'm never really sure if they understand what is going on. Thai students are generally very shy and reserved and will not volunteer a lot of information (for example, if I ask a question, usually no one will respond). I always ask them if they understand and they will nod yes, even if they have no idea whether I'm assigning an essay or giving the Gettysburg Address.

This response is very cultural; for a student to ask a teacher a question during class causes the teacher to "lose face." Thai people don't want anyone to be embarrassed or questioned in front of other people, so they avoid saying or doing anything that would cause this. Of course I would much rather lose face and have my students ask questions, but this type of response comes with the territory of teaching Thai students, who are polite and respectful at all times.

The same goes for asking questions in class. If a student admits that they do not understand in class, they "lose face" in front of their classmates. Usually if my students do ask me questions, it will be after class or talking to me in private.

I just hope that they come prepared with the assignments and presentations on Tuesday!

0 comments: