Saturday, August 25, 2007

.........................

Last week, I walked to a street market near my apartment building to buy some dinner. It had been a long day, filled with two classes and tutoring after 5, so all I wanted to do was buy some food and go home. Did I mention that it was pouring rain? You know how in movies some poor sap stands in the street and a car racing past them drenches them with dirty water? Yes, that actually happened to me. Luckily, I was already soaked so it didn't really matter.

I stumbled up the stairs to the market and decided to get "phat thai," beloved by locals and tourists alike. I went to my favorite vendor stall and ordered. While I was waiting, the seller looked at me, smiled, took out his cell phone, stuck it in my face and took a picture of me, no preamble whatsoever. I was too surprised to respond or say anything, I just smiled weakly and then pretended like it hadn't happened. As soon as my food was done, I hurried away, my inner monologue reflex too tired to do anything.

I don't look like the average person who lives in Chiang Mai. Although many tourists visit, I don't live in or often frequent the areas where tourists commonly hang out. Because I am a little different, this means that often I get some unwanted attention. Nothing sketchy, mind you, but staring is quite common. Some of the older female ajaarns in the English department like to touch my skin and my hair, and stare into my exotic blue eyes. And yes, that does get awkward, at least for me. I often get told that I look like Britney Spears and/or Hilary Duff. Sometimes strange men take pictures of me with their cell phones.

I've gotten used to this and I really don't mind it most of the time. Honestly. Most of the Thai people genuinely want to compliment me, and who doesn't appreciate a nice compliment now and then? However, I might think twice about going back for phat thai at that market anytime soon.

1 comments:

meg said...

Miss you. I have so much to talk to you about. Now that I am back in Santa Barbara for my last semester - I saw Elizabeth tonight by the way - beautiful as ever - I was thinking of you. Wishing you were here and I could hug you in chapel. But knowing all the while you are where you need to be and are doing a wonderful job I am sure teaching - not to mention entertaining those of us stateside with the stories. LOVE YOU DEARLY my friend!!
xoxox
megs