Sunday, July 1, 2007

Heh.

I went to a grocery store today (not a street market, but an actual grocery store) with one purpose in mind: to buy glue. I needed said glue to repair two my favorite things, which are my pearl earrings (fake, of course, bought for about $8.99) and my J.Crew leather sandals. I've missed them.

So I went to the store, found a section where they sold tape and pencils and figured that glue might be somewhere close by. I was right. I bought a tiny bottle of glue for about 26 baht, a little less than an American dollar.

I thought to myself that this glue must be super glue, partially because it had the word "SUPER" written on the package, in English and in giant letters, and partially because it had a picture of an elephant charging the customer (me) that was so lifelike it freaked me out. Yes, most definitely super glue.

I went home to perform the surgery on my earrings and sandals and discovered that all the directions for using the glue were written in Thai (Don't ask me why this surprised me; that seems to make sense, as I am living in Thailand). So I used my college-educated brain and tried to figure it out. I was applying pressure to the bottle, trying to make it come out, when the top exploded and I got glue all over one of my hands. Now, this would be of no concern to me, except that on the bottle it said, "AVOID ANY CONTACT WITH SKIN." In English. Ha. Assuming that my skin was about to melt off my bones, I rushed into the bathroom and spent a good twenty minutes trying to get the glue off my fingers.

It still is not completely gone. But my earrings and my sandals made a miraculous recovery.

0 comments: