Monday, July 2, 2007

Braces and orange rubber bands.

I picked up a tutoring job working with two eighth grade boys after they get done with school once a week. Today I meet Boon, one of the boys. He is a skinny, awkward kid about half my height, and has braces with neon orange rubber bands. I noticed this because he never stopped smiling during the entire hour we spent together. He is adorable.

I wanted to spend the first session just getting to know him, so I asked about his family, what he likes to do, etc. He speaks (and comprehends) English very well for his age, partially because he has visited the US several times. His aunt lives in Chicago. I told him that I was born in Chicago, which caused us to bond immediately. His favorite movies are The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I asked who his favorite character was: Legolas. Yes, we also have the same favorite character from LOTR. It was meant to be.

I think I terrified him a little (as I recall, most thirteen-year-old boys are terrified of girls a little, especially of strange foreign girls with blonde hair who won't stop asking them questions). I am looking forward to seeing Boon next week on Thursday, along with Thaikom, his friend and my other student. Maybe we can watch The Lord of the Rings and talk about how Legolas has sweet bow and arrow skills.

0 comments: