Monday, November 26, 2007

Loy Krathong Festival

Happy Loy Krathong! This past weekend was an incongruous mix of serene candlelight and deafening fireworks. Yes, my friends, the night of the full moon was here, and candlelight and fireworks go together like peanut butter and jelly. Only in Thailand.

Loy Krathong ("Floating boats") has a variety of meanings, but it originally started as a Buddhist celebration and is now a part of Thai culture, kind of like Christmas in the US. During Loy Krathong, people make small boats out of bamboo, banana leaves, flowers, incense and candles, and float them on the river to give thanks to the river gods.

Here is me making my own krathong boat:



And here is a picture of my new friend, Pong, who saw that I was having trouble making my boat and was kind enough to help me. He was also kind enough to call my dilapadated boat "impressionistic."



A parade started at Thae Pae Gate in the Old City and made its way down to the Ping River, where all the major celebration was taking place. I (along with a few friends) marched in (well, next to) the parade carrying my krathong boat, all the while trying not to get a bottle rocket in the face. Let me now mention that fireworks were going off everywhere. I mean, EVERYWHERE. And these were not professional fireworks being set off in a controlled setting. These were fireworks being set off by junior high boys and drunk people.

Once we got to the river, we made our way through the masses of people to the steps leading down to the water. Here is Nawrarat Bridge:



And here is me trying not to fall into the river while launching my krathong:



Another part of the festival is setting off lanterns into the night sky. The lanterns are called "yee ping," and are released for good luck and to absolve one of one's sins. They work kind of like a hot air balloon; a piece of bamboo is lit at the bottom and the lantern fills up with hot air and eventually rises. At least, that is what is supposed to happen. I saw a good many lanterns refuse to cooperate and subsequently saw many trees catch on fire. Very exciting.



I felt lucky to be able to participate in Loy Krathong, especially because the last time I was in Thailand I missed it. And I still have all my fingers, which many firecracker enthusiasts now in the hospital, cannot say.

0 comments: