Monday, February 18, 2008

Super Tuesday.

A few weeks ago, one of my students (Sirikanya, a first-year English major) stopped me after class. She wanted to know all about the American primaries. She asked me whether I was a Democrat or a Republican and wanted to know who I voted for. I was thrilled to hear that if she was an American citizen, she would support Barack Obama for president.

I asked her why she was interested. She replied that the US has a lot of influence in the world, and to be a responsible citizen of Thailand, she needs to be informed about what happens in the world. I was proud of her and told her so. I try to incoporate current events from around the world in my classes; unfortunately, a lot of my students are completely uninterested.

I can't take credit for her global-mindedness, but at least I can say she is my student!

0 comments: